Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What Am I In For? Freezer Meals!

Well, I have been very neglectful of my blog for a while. I haven't had inspiration for meal plans. I haven't had time for cooking. I haven't had energy for big shops or coupon clipping. I have been adjusting to a new sleep schedule with the beginning of school. My husband also switched jobs last week and so our pay checks have been a bit "off".
All of this has inspired me to find a solution. I need to have dinners ready to go so that my family can sit down to a well balanced meal. I have to do all of my own cooking now because I have a yeast allergy and since yeast is in EVERYTHING (even nuts and chicken broths) I have to be very careful.
So, I started researching the web for freezer recipes. I was thinking Dinner Done in my head because I really enjoyed their services while my kids were newborns. The food was good, gourmet and it didn't feel like "lazy" cooking. There are actually some Dinner Done recipes on the web but not enough to really plan months of cooking around. So, I found a book. The book is called Fix, Freeze, Feast by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik. The recipes look very much like the food at Dinner done and their plan is pretty straight forward. I'm going to give it a go! Here is my plan for this week:

Chicken Broccoli Bake, I'm going to serve it with steamed rice and a salad

Southwest Stuffed Chicken Breast, served with steamed veggies. (This was actually a recipe that I modified from the ones I found online from Dinner Done. I will share the recipe later on).

Mariachi Chicken Rolls, served with steamed veggies.

Swimming Rama, served with fresh spinach and steamed rice.

Cheesy Chilada Bake

Tomato Basil Soup, served with Cheese Biscuits (mix)

French Onion Soup, served with roasted pear salad.

Cheese Steaks, served on rolls with oven fries and spinach salad

I found a lot of inspiration looking through this blog: The Coupon Project.

I highly recommend buying the book Fix, Freeze, Feast. I bought it at my local Borders with a 30% off coupon I found online. The total price was around $10. If you would rather look at it before buying, check the local library. This book is a great tool to help you learn the process of freezing foods in a "ready to cook" fashion. I will be developing my own recipes and hopefully will have many more vegetarian meals to add to my lists. I already know that the Harvest bake will do wonderfully frozen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...