Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mom's Coconut Nut Granola

This is so tasty! I had to dig this recipe up because while I was visiting with my lovely family in North Carolina I made a Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake with my lovely sisters and we used the granola as a crust. I will be posting the Cheesecake recipe soon, but you'll need a batch of this yumminess to make it so make some for your breakfasts first!

Mom's Coconut Nut Granola
by (my mom) Shery Armstrong


Place in a large bowl and mix together:
8 cups old fashioned rolled oats (I like using the thick cut)
1 cup raw sliced almonds
2 cups other nuts and seeds coarsely chopped (pecans and walnuts are our favorites. I’ve used sunflower seeds too)
2 cups coconut, shredded or minced (I buy this w/ no added sugar, organic in 5# bags)
2 to 4 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)

In at least a two cup liquid measuring cup melt ½ cup coconut oil in microwave. Add ½ cup vegetable oil of your choice. Then add 1 cup of sweetener (I use ¾ c. agave and ¼ cup honey, but have tried using a bit of molasses w/ honey which was good too) and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix this all up well with a fork or whisk, pour over oat mixture. Mix well with large spoon. Pour onto 2 large pans that have been greased, evenly spreading mixture (I use two broiler pans or three regular sized cookie sheets). Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Stir well. Replace pans, rotating pans on racks and close oven door. Turn off oven wait 25 minutes. Remove granola from oven and cool completely before adding any dried fruit you’d like and placing in air tight container or plastic bags.

2 comments:

  1. are you starting to get into coconut cooking? This looks good. I'll try it out next week

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do use a lot of coconut oil in my cooking because I am trying to not eat dairy at all. I use Earth Balance and coconut oil and olive oil for most of my cooking now. Hope you like the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...