Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back To School!

Today was the first day of class both for me and for my son who is in VPK this year. It was a typical first day. We stayed up a tad bit later than we wanted to, got a few less things finished when we needed to but Michael enjoyed his first day of school and I found my classroom and sat through my first lecture of the semester.
My class is The History of Education in the US which I find very interesting to learn about as I get ready to be in the world of education both because my children are entering school and because I want to be an educator.
I know as this week goes on the pattern of school/college/mommy-hood and housekeeping with begin to flow better but today I am trying to think up some easy solutions to my busy life. One of the things I plan on doing is making my meal plans this week as easy, fast and comforting as possible. I may even do some "double up" dinners to help out with nights that I am just too tired or have too much to study.
One of the things I did getting ready for today was make muffins and mini quiches the night before so that I would have breakfast fast and ready at 6:30 when I was trying to wake myself up!

Here is the quiche recipe that I came up with and it was yummy!

Roasted Quinoa Crusted Mini Veggie Quiche:
1 1/2 cup egg beaters
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 pkg frozen spinach (thawed and all liquid sqeezed out)
1 small onion, grated
3 cloves garlic chopped or grated
pinch of paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
About 1/2 cup quinoa roasted in EVOO in sautee pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes.

Roast quinoa, carefully spoon about 1/2 tsp into well greased mini muffin pan sections. Combine all remaining ingredients and carefully spoon over quinoa just enough to fill cavity without overflowing. Bake quiches @350 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack and store in refridgerator in an air-tight container or freeze on rack and then store in the freezer in Ziplock or Tupperware. To serve in the morning (from the fridge) heat up to 3 for about 30 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...